TPS Sensor Input

Installation notes, Data Inputs, Tach Hook up and Software Tips
MacLotus
Pedal Cars

TPS Sensor Input

Postby MacLotus » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:59 pm

When connecting sensors (i.e. TPS potentiometer), does the sensor have to be dedicated for Traqmate use only?

I have a TPS sensor on my TB, but it is connected to my ECU. I'm concerned about applying a +5v reference voltage to a circuit already powered by the ECU. Both the ECU and Traqmate unit are quite expensive, so frying either or both is undesirable. :cry:

Is there any other piece of accel data (i.e. longitudinal g's) I can use to drive an accelerator indicator on my dash overlay (TrackVision)?

Thanks Andre'. Cheers!

Ken
-----
Ken

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 190 - Acura TSX Powered - 1600lbs +300whp= FAST

Andre' Surles
Team Traqmate

Re: TPS Sensor Input

Postby Andre' Surles » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:18 am

MacLotus wrote:When connecting sensors (i.e. TPS potentiometer), does the sensor have to be dedicated for Traqmate use only?

I have a TPS sensor on my TB, but it is connected to my ECU. I'm concerned about applying a +5v reference voltage to a circuit already powered by the ECU. Both the ECU and Traqmate unit are quite expensive, so frying either or both is undesirable. :cry:

Is there any other piece of accel data (i.e. longitudinal g's) I can use to drive an accelerator indicator on my dash overlay (TrackVision)?

Thanks Andre'. Cheers!

Ken

Hi Ken,
I am not sure about the TPS sensor as it varies from car to car, some are very sensitive and other don't notice.

You are correct in that you can apply longitudinal g's for acceleration, that is what we do in software to indicate 'gas' on the driver dash board. With your car being so fast it will almost always appear that you are accelerating.

Thanks
Andre'
Redline! Redline! Redline!

MacLotus
Pedal Cars

Postby MacLotus » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:53 pm

Here's what I'm thinking is required when connecting a car's TPS. These potentiometers are connected to (and powered by) the ECU. In these cases, I would assume it extremely unwise to connect Traqmate's +5v reference signal to any point in that circuit.

It makes sense to identify the variable-voltage signal return wire, verify voltage, range and polarity... and t-tap that single wire to input into the TM analog input (similar to the rpm trigger).

Would that not be the correct technical application for TPS input??

Ken
-----
Ken

1999 Lotus Elise Sport 190 - Acura TSX Powered - 1600lbs +300whp= FAST

Andre' Surles
Team Traqmate

Postby Andre' Surles » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:03 am

MacLotus wrote:Here's what I'm thinking is required when connecting a car's TPS. These potentiometers are connected to (and powered by) the ECU. In these cases, I would assume it extremely unwise to connect Traqmate's +5v reference signal to any point in that circuit.

It makes sense to identify the variable-voltage signal return wire, verify voltage, range and polarity... and t-tap that single wire to input into the TM analog input (similar to the rpm trigger).

Would that not be the correct technical application for TPS input??

Ken

Ken - make sure it's an analog TPS.

Also by hooking up anything to your TPS you will effect it's reading, this can be minor in some cases or major in others... in terms of driveability. You can experiment but make sure it's in a safe place and the car has a safe tune.

Aftermarket TPS sensors are available as well if that data is extremely important to you.

Sorry for the delay.
Thanks
Andre'
Redline! Redline! Redline!

Return to “Traqmate Usage Tips & Application Notes”