Shift-I Install

This topic has all the latest documentation for the Shift-I shift lights.
Andre' Surles
Team Traqmate

Shift-I Install

Postby Andre' Surles » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:11 pm

Shift-I requires only three wires to be connected, Ground, Ignition and Tacho. Ground and ignition are commonly found at the back of the main instrument. The tacho can be connected to either a digital signal from the engine controller unit (ECU) to the instruments tacho (if available), or by connecting to the low side of the ignition coil. Connecting to the coil is possible for transistor type ignition.

The diagrams below show the different ways the Shift-I Tacho Wire can be
connected.

Redline! Redline! Redline!

mnichols

Re: Shift-I Install

Postby mnichols » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:02 pm

Andre, I just purchased your ShiftI light indicator. My preference is to use the ECU tach signal output to the tachometer in the dash. My car is a 95 M3. According to the Bentley manual, there are four wires coming out of the ECU that go to the instrument panel.

Blue
wht/Vio
wht/yel
Black

Do you have any idea which of these four would contain the tach information?

niacc

Postby niacc » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:25 am

So, have you received an answer to your question? I have a 93 325i, so I have the same question.

Dave

Andre' Surles
Team Traqmate

Postby Andre' Surles » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:19 am

mnichols wrote:Andre, I just purchased your ShiftI light indicator. My preference is to use the ECU tach signal output to the tachometer in the dash. My car is a 95 M3. According to the Bentley manual, there are four wires coming out of the ECU that go to the instrument panel.

Blue
wht/Vio
wht/yel
Black

Do you have any idea which of these four would contain the tach information?

Sorry guys, our forum isn't altering me of any information as of late.

I don't have any idea which one is the tach signal, you may be able to contact this user on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkZPHSmKHFI

Thanks
Andre'
Redline! Redline! Redline!

Diana
Soapbox Derby

Postby Diana » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:04 am

Andre, I just purchased your ShiftI light indicator. My preference is to use the ECU tach signal output to the tachometer in the dash. My car is a 95 M3. According to the Bentley manual, there are four wires coming out of the ECU that go to the instrument panel.
:roll: :evil: :cry:
Johni Patino..!!

Return to “Shift-I Shift Light Documentation”